Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Gavin Tale Twister #49: Downward Dog

When just Gavin and I go to my mom's house to visit, we usually sleepJ in her great big king size bed.  On this particular night right before we hopped in bed I said to Gavin..."Gavin, we are getting in bed, going right to sleep and not awaking to any alarm.  We will sleep til we awake what ever time that may be. As per every other visit to moms, we jumped in bed and smothered our bodies into the luxurious mattress. This mattress has a familiar feel and each and every time we sleep on it, it feel so homey.
I was on my side and Gavin on his side. We were both so very happy... until early in the morning!!!! Gavin's legs crept over to my side and slid under me to keep himself warm. Of course that woke me up and irritated me. I kept scooting him over and he kept swiping his feet  first against and then under me. 
Finally, after about the 5th time, I swiped his legs out from under me, grabbed hold of my pillow, face down I quickly bore my body hard into the mattress to prevent Gavin's legs from being able to slip under.  Ah ha I thought I hope this works... and IT DID! Gavin swept his feet across my torso several times trying to find an in under me. NOT happening! As much work as it took for me to keep my entire body plastered to the mattress, I did it and  it was worth it. I won! Gavin gave up and retreated but now I was awake and so was Gavin. My eyes were closed hoping to get back to sleep and Gavin  was contemplating his next move. Enough time went by without a single swipe, I though I was home free!
Then Gavin said "Mom?"
I did not respond! I had my eyes closed and was just trying to sleep.
"Mom?"
No response
"Mom?"
Finally I said "Yes Gavin!"
"Mom I think we should do some exercises."
"I don't want to do exercises I am trying to sleep. "
"Mom, come on... we need to do some exercise. We can even do them while we lay here."
No response.
"Mom... this is important.  You are always saying we should exercise. Come on just one stretching exercise... you don't even have to get out of bed and you can keep your eyes closed too. I will talk you through it."
Exasperated and wanting Gavin to just be quiet, I said "Fine Gavin, you go a head."
"No Mom we have to do them together. "
"Fine!"
"Mom ...I'm in downward dog so do downward dog!"
"I am not doing downward dog."My eyes were still closed.
"Mooomm! Come on we are exercising. Do downward dog!"
I exhaled really loud and said "Fine!!!" I got in downward dog all the while trying to keep my mind in sleep mode and my eyes closed hoping to go right back to sleep.For those of you who do not know, downward dog is a yoga stretching pose where you get into a plank on your hands and toes and then raise your but in the air to get a full body stretch. I was now in downward dog.
"Good job Mom....we are done!
Still irritated I thought great! In my mind I thought that was too easy but who cares we are done. I plopped back down on to the bed only to find two legs deeply berried underneath me. Gavin wins!