Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Gavin Tale Twister #51: WHY DON'T I JUST SKIP SCHOOL!

This morning, only the 4th full day of school, I overslept!!! I worked until 4AM and jumped in bed to grab a couple hours before having to do the morning school duties with the kids. Bill left for work at 6:00 AM and I am in lullaby land.
At 7:50 Sam runs into my room and screams "MOM WE'RE LATE!" I jump up  in a drunken sleep and yell up the stairs for Gavin to get up..."WE'RE LATE!"
Gavin pops out of his room "NO WE'RE NOT!"
"YES GAVIN WE ARE! HURRY UP WE'VE GOTTA LEAVE IN 10 MINUTES!"
In as very small voice "ok, I have to shower" like he was going to lolly gag through his morning rituals.
"GAVIN NO TIME FOR A SHOWER JUST PUT YOUR CLOTHES ON AND BRUSH YOUR TEETH, LET'S GO!"
Gavin looks down from upstairs knowing that he is going to say those dreaded words that have haunted Gavin since his early years when he had the D4 (See Tale Twister #3). Again in a small voice "but I have to poo!'
Sammy says "MOM WE'VE GOTTA GO RIGHT NOW !"
Feeling guilty about not getting the kids up on time and seeing the look on Gavin's face some how led  me to say "GAVIN, YOU WANT ME TO RUN SAM TO SCHOOL AND SWING BACK TO GET YOU?"
"yes please" Gavin says.
I return to find Gavin still on the pot. "GAVIN LET'S GO!"
A small voice replies "I'm pooping!"
I sigh and want to fuss at him for not being ready but the lingering guilt takes over and I say " I am going to take Maggie dog for her walk and when I get back, be ready!"
Small voice say "okaaa" fading at the end.
I know what that means... Gavin does not really want to be done pooping nor does he want to go to school.
After last year final report card came sighting Gavin's 46 tardies and 55 missed school days, Bill and I resolved that Gavin could not be tardy ever again.... until he is, like today! Of course that report card was a mistake obviously.  He was tardy a lot and just never went to the office to let them know he made it to school and of course they counted him absent. And Gavin had a few sick days too! It all adds up!
So back to today, I get back from the walk. I come inside and Gavin says take my temperature Mom. Well his head did feel warm so I did  and the thermometer read 98.8.  Gavin says I have a sore throat. Can I just stay at home.  I laughed "NO, GET IN THE CAR! LET'S GO!"
Small voice "ok".
On the way to school I ask "Did you eat a bowl of cereal?"
Small voice "no".
Guilty mom "you want me to drive through the Chick-a-fila drive through and get you something?"
Gavin replies "No we are going to be even later! Searching in his head for his schedule that day, his eyes suddenly light up as he says, "WE HAVE TO HURRY,  I CAN'T BE LATE FOR 2ND PERIOD!  I' ll just skip breakfast."
"What is 2nd period?"
"PE"
I laughed and said "Gavin your so funny! You could care less about first period Social Studies but now can't miss PE."
" No mom, not because I wanna go to PE, I just don't want to have to run if I am late!
"Gavin, 2nd period begins in like 3 minutes and we're still 10 minutes from school.  Your are going to be late to 2nd period PE no matter what.
Guilty mom "You want me to take you to Waffle House instead for breakfast and then drop you  off."
Long pause... "Well if am going to miss 2 classes, WHY DON'T I JUST SKIP SCHOOL?"
I am cracking up..."Funny Gavin!"  Of course my response is a lingering "Noooo! Chick-a-fila and then school."